UK TANGO CHAMPIONSHIP
The World tango dance tournament (in Spanish: Campeonato Mundial de Baile de Tango, also known as Mundial de Tango) is an annual competition of Argentine Tango, held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, usually in August, as part of the Buenos Aires Tango Festival organized by the city's government.
The World Cup competition is the final leg of a series of pre-competitions held around the world.
Alowed Countries to Participate in UK
Eligibility to Enter
- Contestants must be at least 18 years old by the date of the competition.
- Contestants may participate in both the Pista (Salon) Tango and Stage Tango categories. However, no contestant may participate more than once in the same category, regardless of whether they do so with a different partner.
- Dancers of any nationality are eligible to apply for the competition, but applicants must prove that they have been residents for at least one full year (by the date of the competition) in the United Kingdom or Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Romania, Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria and Greece.
- All participants must confirm their registration at the time of accreditation. The presentation of the identity document (birth certificate, passport, rent contract or similar) to certify the place of birth or residence in Europe is mandatory to obtain accreditation. It will not be necessary that the two members of the couple submit for accreditation; it can be done by one of the members bringing both documents.
- Accreditation by third parties shall not be made.
- All data provided at the time of the accreditation will be considered as a sworn statement. Any contradiction subsequent to the signature will be penalised by either a decreased score or a disqualification to compete or any other measures established by this body.
- All the competition rounds (qualifying, semi-finals and finals) will be open to spectators.
PISTA (SALON) TANGO
In this category, couples will compete in groups, dancing three pieces previously selected by the Committee.
-Once formed, the couple must not separate while the music is playing. For the position to be considered correct, the body of one of the members of the couple must be contained all the time by the arm of the other. It is understood that in certain figures, this may be flexible, but not throughout the duration of the dance.
-All movements must be made within the space allowed by the couple’s embrace.
-The Jury will take into account the couple’s musicality and walking style as fundamental to the score.
-Within these parameters, the couple may perform any commonly used figures of “social” tango, including barridas (sweeps), sacadas al piso (drawn to the floor), enrosques (twists), etc.
-Jumps, figures that involve losing the contact of both feet with the floor and all other choreographic possibilities typical of Stage Tango are completely forbidden.
-As is typical in a dancehall, couples must constantly move counterclockwise and may not stay in the same part of the choreographic space as this would obstruct the circulation on the dance floor.
-Outfits will not be taken into consideration during the judging process.
-Participants will be able to express their view of the Argentine tango dance. This means that couples will be allowed to perform movements, figures and applications that are not directly related to the traditional tango dance. But the choreography must include traditional elements of tango: figure eights, spins, long walks, voleos, hooks, and the “milonguero embrace.” Couples will be able to break the embrace and use techniques from other dance disciplines, as long as they are justified and enrich the performance of the dancer.
-Aerial tricks and movements from other dance disciplines must not be excessive. This means that they must not exceed a third of the overall performance. The couple must include floor movement sequences throughout the whole stage floor.
-Outfits may be taken into consideration during the judging process.
-If a technical problem should occur, the Jury will evaluate the repetition of the choreography at the end of the assigned performing time slot.
-In case of having a problem with the choreography, the couple will decide whether to continue dancing or not, and the Jury will evaluate the manner and grace with which they solve the inconvenience; but the couple will not be allowed to repeat the performance.
-The selected song cannot not be more than four (4) minutes long.
FIRST PLACE - Stage The FIRST PLACE winning couple of the Argentine Tango UK Championships, Stage Tango Category will receive the following: 1. The Official Title of: UK Stage Tango Champion 2018. 2. Round-trip airfare from London to the City of Buenos Aires. 3. A week stay accommodation in Buenos Aires in August, week during which the Tango Buenos Aires Dance World Cup takes place. 4. Registration to compete in the Semi-finals of TANGO BUENOS AIRES FESTIVAL & DANCE WORLD CUP 2018. SECOND PLACE - Stage The SECOND PLACE winning couple will receive honorable mentions, and the free registration for the next UK championship on either one or both categories. Important information: In the case a couple wins both official categories it will have apart of the two official titles a longer stay in Buenos Aires up to 3 weeks accommodation and the registration to compete in the Semi-finals of TANGO BUENOS AIRES FESTIVAL & DANCE WORLD CUP 2018 for both categories.
London Champion - Pista Tango 2018 First Prize (For Londoners competing within the main Pista Tango Category) Free annual pass to several milongas and practicasCarablanca - Etnia - The Light (Wed/Sat) - Tango y Nada Mas - Tango Tierra - Negracha - Tango Space - La Divina - Tango Garden - Corrientes - ''Tango-Fever London''. The score for this prize will be that given by the official Championship judges.